Friday, February 13, 2009

The hell of Vista updates

Ok so i'm in Vista for the first time, just curious about how much space it has taken -> C: properties...10.7GB WTF that is freaking huge...oh well I can't say I didn't see it coming.

So windows updates, yep 52 updates 190 MB, takes about 1/2hr to download not too bad. Takes about 15 min to install them, but I also use this time to get the driver for my ATI HD4850 so a small bit of time saved.

I get AGV anti virus off my flat network and firefox 3.0.6, and try to install those, but NO!!! that would be easy.

AGV is telling me I need some Vista update or it will run really slow, so I think (stupidly) that the update will be coming in the current lot, so I will just install AGV after the restart...no problem...

Ok so i'll install firefox, NO!!! or specifially "you may not have permission to do this" sure so I put in the administrator password and it seems to start but NO, the process just ends....no firefox...strange...try again 4 times...oh bugger it all i'll fix that later.

Restart computer....wait for "configuring updates"....sure...computer restarts but you have to wait again for the updates to be configured.

Then you have to go through the process again a couple of times to make sure your soul is completely drained. And by this point I didn't bother installing firefox.

All in all this process has taken just over 4 hours....what I have is a OS that cant really do anything, but iot looks pretty. After the first restart I did reconnect the other HDD's and crossed my fingers it all worked so that was nice.

Over all I have to hand it to the guy at microsoft whos job is to make the install process hell, he really pulled out all the stops for Vista.

No comments:

Post a Comment